Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Reading Diary A: Ovid's Metamorphoses (Books 1-4)

This is my reading diary for my first reading of the semester from Ovid's Metamorphoses, Books 1-4.

At the beginning of the story, the river gods caught my attention, as they are not mentioned much even though they are the ones to truly flood the earth. I liked that Deucalion and Pyrrha did not understand the goddess's instructions at first; I've found in reading mythology that instructions from Gods are often very confusing. The actual flood was the part I enjoyed most about the story, especially when the animals were included and described. 

This story starts out very harsh with the rape of a young virgin, which seems very common with Jupiter. I sympathize with her father's sufferings as well. I found Juno's part in this story very interesting. 

I loved the description of the Sun's palace and how easily I could imagine it in my head. I wish that Phaethon asking to be able to control the chariot and the reactions were described better; I thought they would have had more emotions. 

Phaethon's ego intrigues me and his sure attitude makes for disaster in this story. My favorite part of the story was when Phaethon looses the reins and disaster is imminent for earth; I thought this could have been described with more imagery. 

The way that Phaethon dies is very interesting, Jupiter cannot control his anger and his ego shows through because he is the only one able to save the world. I like how Jupiter's punishments are turning Phaethon's relatives and those who allowed him to take the chariot into animals and plants. It would be such an interesting feeling to be turning into something completely not human and maybe not even know the reason why. 

Again Jupiter rapes a young woman, which I have seen is a very common theme. It seems that every girl that Jupiter rapes is punished for her discretion, even when she fights him. It is an interesting sign of the patriarch dominated society at the time that these myths were written. The ending of the story is very interesting, that Jupiter considers it mercy to make the mother and son into constellations instead of the son unknowingly killing his mother. 

It is interesting that Juno's rage is directed to kill the woman Jupiter has been adulterous with, where as in the past stories she has sought to transform them into something else. I also love the irony that because Juno killed Semele, Semele's son was turned into a God by Jupiter's divine full presence. Now Juno must live with him for eternity, but if she had done nothing he would have remained alive only for his mortal lifespan.

Painting of Phaethon in the Sun's Chariot
by Gustave Moreau
Source: Wikipedia



No comments:

Post a Comment