Thursday, September 17, 2015

Storytelling Week 4: The Life of a Loyal Falcon

I have spent my child as a lowly eyass, otherwise known as a baby falcon, trying to fight for the scraps and respect of my peers. My parents did not have a high status within our cast and, therefore, I could not achieve a high status. I struggled through my younger years with the notion that I could never make my parents as proud as I had always hoped.

Photo of Young Falcon Source: Wikipedia

Everything changed the fateful night I was captured by a tall, broad man in regal clothing. At first, I was so scared and I had no clue what I would do. I had been pulled from my parents and my cast, what was I going to do? 

Though we had a harsh beginning, my time with the regal man grew to be my favorite time that I had ever experienced. I knew that I was important, though I was sort of unsure why, and I only wished that I could show my parents the way that I had climbed and the status that I had achieved. I spent my time in a large mansion and only the regal man fed me and took me hunting. I worked hard for the regal man and he lavished me with affection.

One day, while hunting with the regal man, all of the sudden, none of his men were around us. What was going on? Before I knew it, the regal man had a cup to the dreadful stream. NO! He can't do that! The stream is poisonous... I did the first thing I could think of and I flew straight at the cup. The regal man got mad though and went to put the cup back in the stream. I knew I must save him, he had been so good to me. I flew into it a second time and I had a feeling that this would not end well for me. 

As the cup fell, the regal man reached out in rage and his hands fell on me. Though as I felt my last breaths left me, it was all worth it. 

Author's Note  I based this story off of the Indian story called The King, The Falcon, and the Drinking Cup.  When I read this story, I was struck by the loyalty of the falcon and wanted to write it from the falcon's perspective. I also thought it would be really cool to make the falcon never truly understand that the man was a King, only that he was a 'regal man.'

Bibliography
"The King, The Falcon, and the Drinking Cup" from The Tortoise and the Geese and Other Fables of Bidpai by Maude Barrows Dutton, with illustrations by E. Boyd Smith (1908). 

2 comments:

  1. Great retelling of the original story! I love how you wrote the story from the Falcon's point of view. That point of view made the story more interesting to read. I just read the original story and saw the changes you have made. Even though you made lots of good changes, you kept the main point. And that makes the story that much better. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a well written story, Ann-Marie! I have never read "The King, The Falcon, and the Drinking Cup" before, yet you made your tale very easy to follow. I am curious as to why you had wanted to tell the story from the falcon's point of view. But that is a great strategy none the less! Did the falcon die by his king killing him out of frustration? That's so sad! Good job though.

    ReplyDelete