Monday, September 14, 2015

Reading Diary A: Bidpai

Introduction
The beginning of the story about condensing the King's library collection reminded me a lot of how information is condensed in today's time for social media. I liked the beginning of the story but had a little trouble getting used to the terminology and wording. Bidpai seems like a really interesting character.
The Rustic and the Nightingale
The language of this part of the story reminded me very much of the Aesop's fables that I read last week. Especially with the Nightingale being able to talk to the rustic and giving him a reward for doing the right think. I was left very curious at the end of this story and wanted to know more!
The King, The Falcon, and The Drinking-Cup
I really liked how this story started and drew me in, however I was very surprised how the story took a turn, though I really liked how the falcon saved the king's life and the king had no idea. That is true loyalty on the part of the falcon!
The Two Travelers
The beginning of this story starts really intriguing with such an odd request of the travelers to receive a feast. I was surprised that the two travelers separated and one attempted to complete surprise. I was also completely shocked that the story ended with him being crowned king for being brave enough to attempt the task.
Poor man, Rich man, Young man
The three stories were very intertwined with the underlying idea of being punished for being greedy. Each of these stories very much included elements of karma, which I thought was really cool.
The Merchant and His Iron
I liked how clever and devious the merchant was to get his iron back. I really liked that the merchant controlled his anger in order to get back his iron, not just to punish the friend.
I really liked this illustration and thought it was really cool!
Gardener, Farmer, Tyrant
The story of the gardener and the bear very much reminded me of an Aesop fable and it ended very differently than I would have expected. The moral was a little hard to swallow, as you want to have an optimistic outlook and give people the benefit of the doubt, but it is true. 
The King, the Hermit, and the Two Princes
I liked how this story ended because it was better for the kingdom that the two sons were not kings.
The Carpenter and the Ape
This story had an interesting moral of not meddling in other people's business. I think its cool to see the difference in morals between the English Aesop's fables and the Indian stories I am reading this week!
The Hunter, the Fox, and the Leopard
I thought it was cool that the story had the fox being smarter than the hunter and ignoring the trap but the Leopard was not smarter, but stronger than the Hunter and therefore was able to kill him even after falling in the small trap. 


No comments:

Post a Comment