Thursday, September 17, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Aesop (English)

My reading diary this week is from the unit Aesop (English) because I am doing my storybook on fables from Aesop units!

The Carter and Hercules
It was really interesting to see the fables in verse form and about the Greek Gods! It was WAY different than the fables I read from the Aesop (winter) unit and it was a little harder to understand in a verse, rather than a very straightforward story. I liked the moral of basically help yourself because it is so often in today's society that we ask others to help fix our problems before we have tried ourselves.

The Two Bags
This verse form fable was super interesting! I thought it was really cool idea that we carry two bags, one with our own faults and one with other's faults. The bag behind us contains our own but we never see that one, only the one in front of us! I really liked this one because I think it is human nature to find faults in others before yourself and I liked the explantation for that in this story. This would be cool to rewrite as an adult giving advice to children.

The Wolf and the Shepard's Boy
I thought it was so cool to hear this famous story in the original verse form and I liked how simple it was. This would be a really cool story to retell with human characters because I feel like this happens all of the time with younger kids wanting attention.

A Miser and Rotten Apples
This story was written in prose, rather than verse. Although this story was sort of hard to understand and the moral was very long, I did like the story and what it was saying. It would be hard to rewrite this story with children though.

The Dancing Apes
I really liked this story! It was super interesting and really unexpected! I liked that the moral was that the Force of Nature is stronger than learned behaviors. I had never really thought about it like that. It would be really really cool to rewrite, though it would be hard to think of a force of nature for children though.

The Fox and the Crow
This story was back to being in verse form. This seemed to really outline the typical tricky nature of a fox that you see in so many different forms. I also really liked that the fox was out tricked in this story by an even trickier stork. This would be cool to use for my storybook.

A Fox and a Cat
This was a cool take on 'tricks' and that the cat only has one sure trick and it work out for it because it can climb a tree when danger comes but the fox had hundreds of slippery tricks that did not help him when the danger came.

The Lion King
First off, I just got really excited to read this story because of the title! I liked the story but thought it would be hard to use for my storybook as the moral wasn't super clear.

The Ass and the Lion Hunting
I liked that the donkey was very quiet and did not boast about anything. He was also very wise which I find isn't usually the case when donkeys are portrayed in stories.

Two Laden Asses
This moral was very odd to me: poverty is easy and safe, while riches are a great snare. I think it makes sense in the context of being robbed, but not in any other context. I liked the story but I dont think that it would be a good moral to teach children. The illustration is really cool though:



No comments:

Post a Comment