Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Reading Diary B: Aesop for Children (Winter)

My notes for the second half of Aesop for Children by Milo Winter!

The Mule
I liked the realness of this story and that it touched on being sure of who your family is and where you come from before you brag about it.

The Wolf and the Shepard
The moral of this story, Once a wolf, always a wolf, is very realistic and kind of hard to swallow. We always want to believe that people can change and that bad people can be good. But sometimes it is just a bad person trying to trick you and you have to be weary of that. I also really enjoyed the illustration.

The Fox and the Crab
This story just really reminded me of the warning, the grass is never greener on the other side. 

The Bull and the Goat
I liked that this story reminded me of don't kick someone when they're down. But I liked that this implied that it is not only wrong but that it is wicked. 

The Quack Toad
I had to read this story twice because the moral seemed a little off for the story. When you read the moral by itself it seems that you should mend yourself first to be in the best shape to be able to mend others. But when you read the story it is more that no one would what to be cured by a doctor who has warts all over the place because why wouldn't he have mended himself already? 

The Cat and the Old Rat
This made me think of "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." It is very wise to always remember those that have tricked you. I sort of believe in forgiveness, but not necessarily forgetting what happened. 

Jupiter and the Monkey
I liked that Roman mythology was referenced; I love when other culture's mythology is referenced! This story truly showed how large a mother's love is and how often it can blind you to the most obvious things.

The Wolves and the Sheep
Always remember who your friends are and do not be tempted by shiny new things. 


No comments:

Post a Comment