Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Week 1: An Introduction to Me

My name is Ann-Marie Stowe and I am a junior here at the University of Oklahoma. I was born in Davenport, Iowa but I grew up only 45 minutes from Norman in Edmond, Oklahoma. I am the youngest of six kids in my family and was born a whopping 18 years after my oldest sister! My family are huge dog lovers, we have five! although the youngest Rosie is my favorite, and we love to foster dogs and puppies through the Edmond Animal Shelter and the Oklahoma Central Humane Society. I am a pretty big family person, it's one of the main reasons that I chose to stay close to home during my college years.
Photo of our youngest dog Rosie (July 2015)

I am currently studying Biology at OU with a Pre-Physician's Assistant tract. I am on the Executive Committee for CAC Soonerthon for my second year. If you want me to talk your ear off, just ask me about anything related to Soonerthon! Working each year for the kids of the Children's Miracle Network Hospital in OKC is the best part of my year! This year I am trying to raise over $5,000 so please keep me in your thoughts and prayers that I don't pull my hair out from stress!
Here is the video from last year's total reveal:
If you have any questions about Soonerthon, please contact me or you can visit my page to learn what it is all about: Ann-Marie Stowe and Soonerthon

I also can talk about football for days, as it is my favorite sport to watch. Football season is the best time of the year, but its hard not being able to watch it with my dad now that I am in college. 
Photo of me and my dad (May 2015)

Traveling is one of my biggest passions: in the last four years, I have had the opportunity to travel to London, Dublin, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Sydney, Melbourne, and Cairns! Foreign places intrigue me and being able to see these places around the world has shaped my thoughts and how I see the world. I am sort of a history nerd, so being able to see places with such a deep and rich history fascinates me. I have been able to see and learn about buildings and structures that were erected long before our country was even discovered! My favorite places were definitely Madrid and all of Australia! I think I liked them so much because they have a very laid-back culture, while still being large cities. I really love the idea of living in a city, but being from a suburb I cannot stand traffic or the sort of impersonal, fast paced attitudes; Madrid and Sydney had the big city vibe, but it didn't seem like everyone was in a rush to get someplace! People loved to stop and talk to me on the street and the culture was very inviting in both places!
Photo of me at the Love Lock Bride in 
Paris, France (August 2013)
What drew me to this course was, in fact, me being sort of a history nerd; I love the concepts of myths and folk stories and the role they can play in culture. My favorite is Greek mythology, mostly from growing up reading the "Percy Jackson Series" by Rick Riordan. I hope this had helped y'all get to know me a little bit!

18 comments:

  1. Oh wow, five dogs: that sounds like so much fun! And from what you say here about history and traveling, I am guessing this is definitely the right class for you, Ann-Marie! I wish OU had the magical ability to take us to all these places around the world, but we can use our imaginations to pretend-travel anyway, letting the stories take us places. And that intersection of legend and history is really fascinating: the farther you go back in history, the more history and legend become intermingled. You will probably find lots of connections between the stories in class and the places you have traveled to. I am curious to which direction you will go with your own stories for the class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great introduction. I am a huge dog person! When you go to my blog you will see Dodger. Also, I am a huge football fan myself. The season starts next week! Oh, since you are into history I thought I should say the last time OU went 8-5 they brought home 3 big 12 championships and competed for a national title. Anyway, it is great that you are into history. My traveling experience is nowhere that diverse, but one experience was great. I went to the ice hockey rink where the U.S. team beat the Russians in the Olympics and it took my breath away. I had just watched the movie Miracle and since I knew the complete history of the scene it was a ton to take in. It was such a huge moment with the Cold War tension rising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne Marie, what a please reading your introduction blog. It's funny because I know you from our common hatred of general chemistry, but much past that I was not familiar with! You have a big family, I think that's so cool! I wish mine was bigger sometimes. Also, I'm applying for Soonerthon Exec this year, I hope that I get the opportunity to do it, if not I will just participate again! Are you going to be in pre-PA club again? I feel like it is pretty useful stuff. Anyways, I loved your picture from the lock bridge in Paris. I was just there about a month ago! I miss Europe so much and I'm sure you do too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne Marie, what a please reading your introduction blog. It's funny because I know you from our common hatred of general chemistry, but much past that I was not familiar with! You have a big family, I think that's so cool! I wish mine was bigger sometimes. Also, I'm applying for Soonerthon Exec this year, I hope that I get the opportunity to do it, if not I will just participate again! Are you going to be in pre-PA club again? I feel like it is pretty useful stuff. Anyways, I loved your picture from the lock bridge in Paris. I was just there about a month ago! I miss Europe so much and I'm sure you do too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ann-Marie! I have two dogs and I love them very much! Once I graduate, I really want to look into fostering animals because I think that is so awesome. I also love traveling though I have not travelled abroad as much as you have! I am obsessed with history also and I love learning random facts about really old places!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute pup! I understand how difficult it is to not be able to watch football with your dad. It is something that’s a tradition at my house and even though I can go to games now I still miss cheering from the living room with my family. It must be nice to have such a big family! I am studying biology as well, It was nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your puppy is so adorable, oh my gosh! From your picture, she looks like a pit-mix - is that right? I love pitbulls so much - they have the best big ol' grins of any dog! My sister just rescued a pit-lab mix named Peter Quill (from Guardians of the Galaxy) and he is just the sweetest thing in the world. From your comment on my blog I know you believe in the "adopt don't shop" and I'm so happy to hear that (five dogs! my goodness!) - I wish more people abided by it.

    So unfortunate you're from Edmond - UCO is OU's rival in hockey ;) I know you said you like football, but I'm always trying to advocate hockey, so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ann-Marie! I am also a junior currently, trying to graduate in December 2016. Your age difference to you and your elder sister is the same as my older brother's and my younger sister's - 18 years. That sure is a long time. I like how you are involved in campus even though you have a hard major! Last thing is I was really happy to read you love football. I love football also - college and pro. How about the Tennessee game and Baker Mayfield this week?! I love our chances to go the championship game (hoping!!). Anyway, It was great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ann-Marie! I am from the Midwest, so I got excited when you mentioned that you were born in Davenport, since I know where that is! And I bet that was an interesting experience to foster dogs throughout your childhood. Which was your favorite place to visit in all of your travels? It's good to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Ann-Marie! I lived in Davenport for a year while I was in kindergarten (it snowed 13in and I thought it was the best thing ever!). I also share your love of travel. I've been to Paris, London, Dublin, and Rome. Did you hear that they're cutting all the locks off the Love Lock Bridge?

    I'm a professional writing major so I definitely get how books can shape us. I loved the Percy Jackson series too! It was great to get to know a little bit about you! Hope your semester is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Ann-Marie,
    We have a ton in common! I am the oldest of six kids on my dad's side of the family and I am a Biology major as well. I also find the best joy in traveling. I have never been to London, Spain, or France, but I plan on going next summer. In fact, I just bought a ticket with my friend to go for two months to backpack across Europe three days after my graduation and I cannot wait! Where do you hope to travel next?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ann-Marie,
    Wow 18 years, I thought my little brother and I were far apart ( we are 9 years apart). I wish i could have a dog I dont know about five though that might be a little much for my apartment. the "Percy Jackson Series" by Rick Riordan was one of my favorite book series it is also part of the reason that i took this class. hehe you dog looks so nice.
    it was nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ann-Marie. It was nice to read about you and to meet you. I know what you mean buy you couldn't live with the fast pace of life that comes with living in a city. I'm from a very small town and could never see myself living in a city. I'm also a huge dog lover and take in almost any stray dog I find. I would like to visit Spain some day. It was nice to meet you and good luck with PA school!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Ann-Marie,

    First of all I am curious. Do you feel that the big age gap between you and your sibling affected your relationship? I have a daughter and am afraid that whenever I decide to have a second child they might not get along because of the big age gap. Woo to us for being Biology majors! I am a little jealous of all your traveling experiences. I would love to travel more than I have been able to. Anyway, good luck with PA school!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ann-Marie!
    My roommate and I actually take our cats to a vet clinic in Edmond. It is a pretty cool place and the people there are very friendly. It is really cool that you are a part of Soonerthon. Who is it going so far? I see you have already reached 36% of your goal already, which is so amazing! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Ann-Marie! My family are huge dog lovers as well. We don't have the chance to foster animals, as my older dog is a little skittish of new comers, but we definitely look out for dogs on the streets! I'm also a huge family person, and kind of hate that college interferes with my ability to be with my family.

    I am so jealous of your travels. I would love to travel, but have never had the opportunity to go anywhere outside of the states. At least not yet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow big family, all those kids and dogs, what a full house! That is so cool, I have always envied those who have a big family. I heard they got rid of the lock bridge and I hope it is not true. I hope I get to go back to France to see it for myself. Have a good semester and break!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Ann-Marie,
    I'm a dog person as well! I have two mini dachshunds at home! That's so cool that you get to travel like that! I was fortunate to study abroad in Spain two summers ago, and it was the best thing I've ever done! Great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete