Tuesday, August 25, 2015

My Storybook Favorites

The first storybook that caught my attention was titled Tragically Ever After and that title alone intrigued me beyond belief. I am always up for a "fairy tale gone wrong" and I love the way the author gave a realistic spin on the all too often too perfect fairy tale stories. The topics that the author chose to write about, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast, and Cinderella, were very familiar to me from throughout my childhood, although the spin the author put on them in even just the introduction made me want to read about the all too familiar princesses again! The author has a very unique style that is exhibited in the introduction, they speak directly to you about what you are about to read and almost dares you to continue on. I loved the creativity shown in revamping classic fairytales and making me want to revisit those stories!

The next storybook that made me want to click and read more was titled Live On, University Legends. Admittedly, I will probably click on anything that involves the University of Oklahoma and this was no exception. The introduction to this storybook is fascinating, it begins with an Indian spirit chief explaining who he is and how his people came to Norman, Oklahoma. The author ties in the buildings of the University of Oklahoma and the spirits who are supposed to live there. The introduction definitely made me want to read more and more. I love how the author ties in something that the entire class has in common, the University, and uses vivid language to make you want to read more. The only downfall is some of the text is hard to read since it is dark text on a dark background. 

The third storybook that stopped my eyes and made me want more was titled Flipped Scripts: History, written by the Vanquished. I immediately wanted to read this storybook, as the quote "History is written by the victors" was attributed to Walter Benjamin, although most think that Winston Churchill said this. The idea that the victor of the battle gets to rewrite history has always fascinated me and I could not wait to read more about this. The introduction takes an interesting turn as you learn that the stories are going to be told in the format of a talk show by Puff the Magic Dragon and the Dude. I love the idea of taking three villains from Greek Mythology and flipping the script and getting their stories! I think that is so important because often in Greek Mythology the villains only became that way because of hard life circumstances. This storybook was definitely fascinating and one of my favorites!


No comments:

Post a Comment