Tuesday, August 25, 2015

My first look at UnTextbook

As I have begun browsing through the UnTextbook for this course, a few units have captured my eye and my curiosity!
American Indian Tales I have always been curious about the American Indian Culture as Oklahoma is so rich in it and so many of my friends, including my boyfriend, have their heritage there. The tales that I have heard a little bit of in American Indian Folklore have always been so different from what I consider "traditional mythology," like Greek and Roman mythology and it makes me want to explore it further.
Traditional American Indian Storytelling 
Source: Blogspot

Robin Hood The tales of Robin Hood seem to be so ingrained in the American culture, yet I only know the children's adaptations, such as the movie "Robin Hood" by Disney, and not the actual story or where it came from. I am very interested to see how the actual folk tale plays out and how it compares to the modern adaptations we have today.
"Robin shoots with Sir Guy" by Louis Rhead
Source: Wikipedia

Egyptian Myth This one is considered one of the classic myths in my mind and yet I have never really researched the stories of this culture. They seem to be so starkly different from other types of mythology and I am very excited to learn about it.
The Goddess Nut, the goddess of the Sun
Source: Wikipedia

Ovid I am a big lover of Greek mythology, stemming from my love of the "Percy Jackson Series" by Rick Riordan since childhood, and so the Ovid Unit brings fascination to my mind. I am very excited to learn more about these stories!

One of my goals in this course is to just go wherever the stories take me. I do not know a lot about mythology, so I would really love to learn more about different mythology and folklore from cultures all around the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment