Monday, October 26, 2015

Week 10 Reading Diary A: Native American Hero Tales

I am trying something new this past week and I think from now on; I am going to try and decide on a storytelling strategy before I start my reading diaries and take notes over how I can apply that to how I am going to write my story that week.

This week my Reading Diary is for Native American Hero Tales and I think I am going to write it in a "newspaper front page article" format. I am really excited about trying to write this way!
Newspaper Image from Pixababy

The Jealous Uncle
The way that this story is starting out makes me think of an expose on the "Unnatural uncle." I could make it like he has been caught by authorities and this is his family speaking out about what happened. The third boy manages to thwart his uncle after he is left for dead, and is determined as ever to kill him.
I want to make the expose about the boy who managed to thwart the Unnatural Uncle

  • He first is left for dead in a log, but uses his brain to think of a way out: he put the sour juice of a cranberry on the log and make it let him go
  • The uncle pushes him down a cliff after asking him to gather some eggs, but the down of the feathers allows him to land softly and he ascends back up the cliff, eggs in hand.
  • While trying to hunt for some clams, the uncle tells a calm to engulf the boy and it does. The boys cuts the inside of the clam to persuade it to open its mouth. 
Dug-From-Ground
I liked how this story started out, but I am not sure if I can apply it to a newspaper type story.

The Attack on the Giant Elk and the Great Eagle
Hero: Jonayaiyin - sent by the gods to relieve the humans of the attacks from the giant Elk, the Eagle and other giants

  • He uses the coat of a lizard to disguise himself
  • The gopher digs a whole for him to get to the heart of the elk
  • The Eagle carries him to its nest and thinks that he is dead
  • He kills the eagle and the eagles husband

No comments:

Post a Comment