Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Week 11 Reading Diary A: King Arthur

This week I am going to continue my reading strategy of taking notes based on the type of story that I am going to write that week. This week I am reading from the unit of King Arthur and I am going to attempt my story in a Diary post. I am going to write one diary entry, or multiple depending on the length and amount of details that are important, from a major character, probably King Arthur or one of his main knights.

Image of old diary entry 
Image Source: Flickr


The Drawing of the Sword
I could do a single entry from Merlin about his thoughts as he comes to Canterbury and decides to have a 'competition' of sorts to find a true king. I could add in how he created the sword in the stone and etched the writing onto the stone. His thoughts as he creates this task and his worry that no one will be worthy and England will continue to suffer. Merlin could watch Arthur ride away, probably to do something for his foster-brother, and think how good of a man Arthur is. Merlin watches as Sir Kay and his father fail to pull the sword out and Arthur pulls it out easily. Merlin rejoices in his head as he realizes that he had not made the enchantment too hard and there is a worthy king to lead them to prosperity. He knew the moment that he delivered Arthur to Sir Ector that he would become a great man but he always had fear that Arthur would be unable to fulfill his destiny and birth right to be king.

The Questing Beast
This story begins with Arthur having to prove to others that he was the true king and having to conquer other kings to get there but Arthur struggles and needs Merlin's help and the help of Excalibur. Arthur sees Guenevere for the first time and falls in love. He has a bad dream of his people being killed by monsters and he being injured. The story ends with Merlin telling Arthur that his sister shall have a child that will end him and all of his knights.

The Round Table
The story of how Arthur marries Guenevere is told in the beginning of this story. That could be a cool diary entry.

The Passing of Merlin
It would be cool to begin the story with Arthur finding the diary and then reading the entry and then ending the story with him reflecting on what a wise friend Merlin had been and how distraught he was over his death and that Merlin had warned him this is how he would die.

The Quest of the Holy Grail
It is interesting that King Arthur did not want his Knights to find the Holy Grail but they went anyway.
The King's Pilgrimage
This story was sort of confusing and hard to follow. I don't think I am going to use it



3 comments:

  1. Hello!

    I found your blog on the randomizer for the extra credit blog commenting thingy. Your reading diary is filled with such great ideas (particularly about Arthur finding Merlin’s dairy after Merlin has passed).

    I have to admit I was a bit bummed when I saw that there weren’t any follow-ups. But I understand that the semester is getting down to the wire. I hope everything is going well in your other classes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann-Marie! I came here randomly from the extra blog comments assignment randomizer. Your diary taking style is so interesting because it is filled with so much information. The amount of information you have on this post should make for a great story. I hope you write it in the future, because it seems like it will be really great. Again, great note taking!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ann-Marie! I came here randomly from the extra blog comments assignment randomizer. Your diary taking style is so interesting because it is filled with so much information. The amount of information you have on this post should make for a great story. I hope you write it in the future, because it seems like it will be really great. Again, great note taking!! :)

    ReplyDelete